Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Is Antigone a strong girl?

Think about what we read in class today in Antigone and voice your opinion about why you think Antigone decided to take a stand against her uncle, King Creon, and support her dead brother, Polyneices.

Please post your answer on your own blog then comment on two other bloggers' opinions. You will have until Friday classtime to post.

13 comments:

  1. I think that Antigone sided with her dead brother because in her eyes, he is equal with her other brother Eteocles and deserves a proper burial as well. Her uncle, King Creon, has a decree saying that the traitor (which is Polyneices) should be left to be eaten by the vultures, dogs, et cetera while Eteocles receives a proper funeral. Antigone is also very strong-minded and is determined to give Polyneices the respect he deserves even though he did go to war with his brother and Thebes. However, Eteocles was selfish in giving up the throne. His actions led to the war and the death of him and his brother Polyneices. I believe Antigone was brave and loyal in supporting Polyneices. I cannot wait to see what is going to happen next in the story!!:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Antigone is a very strong young woman. I would think that with the traumatic events in her family life, she would be more naive and follow the rules of the state. But instead she sticks with her family and supports it, despite the laws against her actions. I think Antigone decided to stand against her uncle because of his cruelty towards his own kin. King Creon is hateful towards her dead brother Polyneices and in doing so is showing dishonor to his entire family.

    I think that Nat's point of view is correct as well, and I believe in a lot of what she is stating.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that Antigone sided with Polyneices because she truly believed that he was just as good as her other brother,Eteocles. She knew it was unjust and disrespectful to leave Polyneices to decay on the street, and once she decided to bury him, she wasn't going to give up until she accomplished her goal. I think that she was very courageous in her decision to go against her uncle, King Creon.

    I really liked Natalie's point of view. Like she said, Eteocles did stimulate the battle by being selfish and not giving the throne to his brother when it was his turn. Also, I think that what Quinn said is true as well. You would think that Antigone would side with her country, especially since most of her family lives there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Antigone is very strong and i think that she went against the law because she felt that even though her family has been through a lot and she should not try and stand out, she was not going to let her brother get treated unfairly. She knows that just because he was a traitor, does not mean that he should not be buried properly. Her uncle is being disrespectful to his own family and she wants to set him straight.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Antigone is a very strong girl who is bold and believes her brother deserves a proper burial. She especially believes in her thoughts strongly because it is against the law to spread dust or dirt over Polyneices, her brother who decided to betray his town. Although, Eteocles, Antigone's other brother, sort of started the dispute by not giving up the throne for a year for his brother to rule. Antigone loves her family more then her country, so she decides to support her brother and turn against the law by giving her brother a proper burial. She wants to do what she believes in even though her uncle is against it. This is why i believe she is strong and dedicated to her thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Antigone is a very strong-minded. She does not believe in the stereotype of women being inferior to men, she believes she is equal and that she is not lesser than any men. Antigone displays her strength when she sides with her brother, Ployneices saying he should receive a proper burial like his brother Eteocle, instead of being place on the road to be eaten by animals. The reason Ployneices is being place on the side of the road is because he traded on the City of Thebes and King Creon, their uncle, believes a traitor should not have a proper burial. Antigone is against the whole thing because she believes her brother (Ployneices) should get some respect because once before her brother was the King and was still a part of the royal family. Antigone expresses how independent she is when she is still siding for her brother Ployneices when no one else is one her side. I hope this is interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Today in class, we read about how Antigone sided on Polyneices's side. I think that Antigone decided to take a stand against her uncle, King Creon, because since Polyneices is her brother, she feels that she has an obligation to her dead brother. Because she has no one left in her family to arrange proper rituals (burial), it is up to Antigone, to do this. Because Antigone is going against her country, she is very brave. Antigone knows the consequences that would happen if she was caught. She believes that no one will find out.

    I agree with Kathryn's statement because Antigone believes that both brothers deserve to be buried. I also agree with Mary's statement because she is going completely against her uncle's decree, and he is not going to stop her.

    ReplyDelete
  8. GIRLS: POST THESE ANSWERS ON YOUR OWN BLOG SO YOUR FRIENDS CAN COMMENT ON THEM. THANKS.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think that Antigone decided to make a stand against her uncle because she knew that it was the right thing to do. Antigone is the type of girl who stands up for what she believes in and will not let anyone change her mind. She will do what she wants no matter what others say. She was very certain about her decision when she was talking to her sister. That is why I believe she went againt her uncle (King Creon.) She had already made it up in her mind that she was finally going to bury her brother, and she did it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree with what Nat said about believing that her two brothers were equal. I also agree with what Gina said about Antigone's uncle ( Creon)direspecting his own family.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Antigone represents a perfect form of a strong girl. She does not side with Ismene, her sister, who believes women are inferior to men. She knows that she is strong, too, and is not afraid to show it. I believe she chooses to bury her dead brother because she feels committed to her family; to be honest, her family life has been pretty screwed up, so I feel that she thinks this is the least she can do to shed some honor upon her family name--her brother, even though considered a "traitor", is her brother. Polyneices needs someone on his side--he got pushed around for a while, especially when Eteocles told him that he wanted to keep his position as king. Antigone seems like she's gonna make a great hero in the story---can't wait to finish!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I posted comments on Justine's and Nat's blogs---I did not put them with my opinion. (:

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh and mrs.king, can you post on mine to confirm you saw it? or send an email. thank you.

    ReplyDelete